- Mission and goals
- Admission requests
- Activities report
Mission and goals
i2ADS – Institute of Research in Art, Design and Society is a R&D unit based at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto (FBAUP), financed by the Portuguese agency Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT). It has the mission of promoting research in Fine Art, Performative arts, Drawing, Design and Arts Education. The core of its mission is the practical and educational impact of artistic research in society.
Its main goals are the development of a research culture shared among the several artistic areas that compose it to inform and develop its practices; the promotion of debate on the social, cultural and technological frameworks of art and design; the development of research careers in Art and Design and the support to young researchers.
It incorporates researchers in visual arts, performing arts, drawing, design and arts education, who bring together specialized knowledge in the practice and teaching of art and design, in artistic practices of social engagement, in digital creativity, in technological archaeology and innovation. These knowledges are fundamental to empower active research capable of responding to the challenges of the cultural and creative sectors in promoting an inclusive, innovative and reflective society.
Currently, it includes 39 integrated researchers coming from the Faculty of Fine Arts and Faculty of Architecture, (University of Porto) and from the School of Music and Performing Arts (Polytechnic Institute of Porto). Its team also includes 3 junior researchers, 32 FCT doctoral scholars and 93 collaborating researchers from several Universities, Polytechnics and Cultural Institutions.
- To create a body of researchers in Art and Design that promote relevant research activities in the national and international panorama;
- To carry out research work in articulation with other national and international institutions, through consortia and networks, namely in the Portuguese-speaking space;
- To ensure the articulation of research with post-graduate training (specialization courses, masters and doctorates);
- To strengthen the inter-institutional relations and ensure the provision of services of artistic and scientific relevance to the community;
- To disseminate the knowledge produced in its research programs, through the organization of exhibitions, symposiums, and free access publications;
- To foster mobility and artistic and scientific exchange.
i2ADS structures its activities in Research Programmes, where its Research Projects and Seed Projects are included. These programmes reflect the following main areas of knowledge and intervention of the i2ADS’ mission:
- Artistic Practice, Politics and Social Engagement
- Artistic Production, Processes and Technological Studies
- Arts Education, Critique and Society
- Computation, Hybrid Practices and Culture
- Drawing Across Disciplines
- Interculturality and Society
i2ADS also hosts Experimental Artistic Programmes, which are sets of individual or collective artistic activities, carried out systematically within the scope of i2ADS. They aim to document and discuss the artistic process through presentations that include the means of the practice itself.
The DEA is a doctorate in partnership with the University of Lisbon. Doctoral research addresses areas such as artistic education policies, involvement with museums and cultural institutions, local involvement with communities and schools. The DAP is based on an innovative epistemology that crosses artistic and investigative contexts. The programme assembles students from different nationalities in artistic research in areas like climate change, social practices in public space, incorporated and temporal artistic practices, creativity and technology.