- Mission and goals
- Admission requests
- Activities report
Mission and goals
i2ADS – Institute of Research in Art, Design and Society is a R&D unit based at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto (FBAUP), financed by the Portuguese agency Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT). It has the mission of promoting research in Fine Art, Performative arts, Drawing, Design and Arts Education. The core of its mission is the practical and educational impact of artistic research in society.
Its main goals are the development of a research culture shared among the several artistic areas that compose it to inform and develop its practices; the promotion of debate on the social, cultural and technological frameworks of art and design; the development of research careers in Art and Design and the support to young researchers.
i2ADS is an institutional member of the Society of Artistic Research (SAR) and integrates the European Educational Research Association (EERA).
It incorporates researchers in visual arts, performing arts, drawing, design and arts education, who bring together specialized knowledge in the practice and teaching of art and design, in artistic practices of social engagement, in digital creativity, in technological archaeology and innovation. These knowledges are fundamental to empower active research capable of responding to the challenges of the cultural and creative sectors in promoting an inclusive, innovative and reflective society.
Currently, it includes 44 integrated researchers coming from the Faculty of Fine Arts and Faculty of Architecture, (University of Porto) and from the School of Music and Performing Arts (ESMAE – P.Porto), including the hiring of 1 assistant researcher and 5 junior researchers. Its team also includes 49 doctoral scholars, 85 collaborating researchers from several Universities, Polytechnics and Cultural Institutions, and 2 technicians.
- To create a body of researchers in Art and Design that promote relevant research activities in the national and international panorama;
- To carry out research work in articulation with other national and international institutions, through consortia and networks, namely in the Portuguese-speaking space;
- To ensure the articulation of research with post-graduate training (specialization courses, masters and doctorates);
- To strengthen the inter-institutional relations and ensure the provision of services of artistic and scientific relevance to the community;
- To disseminate the knowledge produced in its research programs, through the organization of exhibitions, symposiums, and free access publications;
- To foster mobility and artistic and scientific exchange.
i2ADS structures its activities in Research Programmes, where its Research Projects and Seed Projects are included. These programmes reflect the following main areas of knowledge and intervention of the i2ADS’ mission:
- Artistic Practice, Politics and Social Engagement
- Artistic Production, Processes and Technological Studies
- Arts Education, Critique and Society
- Computation, Hybrid Practices and Culture
- Drawing Across Disciplines
- Interculturality and Society
i2ADS also hosts Experimental Artistic Programmes, which are sets of individual or collective artistic activities, carried out systematically within the scope of i2ADS. They aim to document and discuss the artistic process through presentations that include the means of the practice itself.
OFICINA FEIA (Training in Arts Education and Research) is the training centre created by i2ADS – Research Institute in Art, Design and Society, of the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Porto, which brings together the following constituent entities: Escola Superior de Música e Artes do Espetáculo (ESMAE – P. Porto); Escola Artística e Profissional Árvore (Escola das Virtudes – Cooperativa de Ensino Polivalente e Artístico, CRL) and Escola Artística de Soares dos Reis e Arte Total. It aims to train teachers in the specialised and didactic areas of arts education, and its mission is to promote actions of intervention and research in Artistic Education, practically and relationally. The FEIA team consists of Cristina Ferreira (direction) and Inês Barreira.
i2ADS runs two FBAUP doctoral programmes: the Doctoral Programme in Art Education (DEA) and the Doctorate in Fine Arts (DAP).
The DEA is a doctorate in partnership with the University of Lisbon. Doctoral research addresses areas such as artistic education policies, involvement with museums and cultural institutions, local involvement with communities and schools. The DAP is based on an innovative epistemology that crosses artistic and investigative contexts. The programme assembles students from different nationalities in artistic research in areas like climate change, social practices in public space, incorporated and temporal artistic practices, creativity and technology.