The Research Laboratory in Arts Education (LabEA) is a space of experimental research in different educational contexts (schools, museums, communities and other institutions) that seeks to destabilise routines and constraints through the creation of questionings, reflections, sharing and discussion of field practices and of research itself.
The Laboratory is structured under 3 areas of intervention:
- research: research is here understood as an opening process to a permanent rethinking of its own questions and generated products, in a relation that intends to be intimate with the practices of the different actors in the field. Its experimental character displaces the researchers of Labea and the several education agents to experimental and disruptive methodological spaces.
- training: diverse spaces of training are configured that will be materialized in seminars, courses, post-graduate training, conversations, residencies and other formats based on the research and the inquiries into the main difficulties felt in the contexts that are under investigation.
- publication and creation of pedagogical materials: As a fundamental component of the work developed and of the research development, we will publish the results of the ongoing research, of the projects developed and of the training courses elaborated from the research. The materials to be produced are open to the experimental character of the Laboratory.
- To develop research projects with different scales in the research field of arts education practices. Labea will operate from a set of micro-projects established inside it;
- To develop the research in arts education in a straight and experimental relation with the practices realised and to be realised in and out of institutional contexts;
- To develop experimental methodologies of research and action in arts education;
- To develop methodologies of evaluation in arts education;
- To understand the relations between artistic and educational practices;
- To diagnose, to analyse and to intervene in specific contexts in the expanded field of arts education;
- To construct questioning and critical positionings regarding institutionalised practices, involving the professionals, educators in the field in research practices that allow to question the institutionalised routines;
- To devise training offers in a strict relation with the research in the field;
- To experiment ways of intersecting theory and practice in facing institutional and cultural realities in the field of arts education;
- To explore intervention zones in arts education by challenging the established frontiers and empowering the production of new knowledge;
- To historicize, from a contemporary position, the development of the field of arts education and of its educational practices;
- To constitute a historic and experimental archive in arts education on a national and international level;
- To problematise and to question the meaning and pertinence of syllabuses, materials and formats of action in the development of practices of arts education;
- To explore and experiment in research-action contexts the repetition of already-existent pedagogical syllabuses, materials and formats, and the production of new ones.
- To establish a local, national and international network of research in arts education.